Thursday, March 26, 2015

Day 9 Mentorship

The last few years I have had the highest scores in the district on our state test.  My scores have been in the 90's so I have had quite a few asking me how I do it.  At first it caught me off guard because I was sure I wasn't doing anything they weren't doing.  But as the years have gone on and we talked I did notice things I did differently, probably because I'm so old.  (see picture above)  I have never really thought of myself as a leader as I don't take on that position intentionally being an introvert by nature but apparently I am. I've noticed more and more my boss coming to me for advice in addition to fellow teachers.

I have made it my mission this year to help out our new writing teacher.  She started out too nice and they are running all over her.  So when I see this happening I jump in and help.  I have been trying to help her with management issues and offering activities she could try that might work for her.  But I've also told her it will get better next year because she knows now to start off tougher.  Junior high can be rough and she is really young so they take advantage any way they can.

As for my mentor...for 15 years I worked closely with the 8th grade reading teacher.  She moved 3 years ago to Wyoming but we still keep in touch and mentor each other.  She's been teaching as long as I have and love reading as much as I do.  So while she may not be in my school anymore she still helps me whenever I need it.

As for my goal...I am pretty swamped with all the committees I'm on, after school detention, department head, and a chronic illness so I'm going to stick with continuing to mentor all of the ones I do and keep my revolving door to my classroom revolving.  It seems someone is always in my room and I am glad to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment