Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Day 13 Side Kick



I'm not sure if this is cheating but I actually put this together yesterday with the history teacher and we plan on doing it in two weeks after our state testing is over.

He is going to discuss and show some video about how the Holocaust affected children.  He spends a day on this as it helps them relate to the war a little better.  I made up cards yesterday with the names of children with a little background on each but left off what finally happened to them at the end of the war.  The day he gives his presentation is the day I will let my students draw a card.  They will keep the card until we finish the novel The Boy in the Striped Pajamas.  Then I will give them another card with the rest of the story of what happened to the children on their cards.  Some survived and some didn't.  After they get their cards, I  will assign small groups to read a story out of two books I have with short stories about children who were heroes during the war and helped save others often at the expense of their own safety.  They will share their stories with the rest of the class so each story gets told.  

I think at this age (junior high) it will help bring home what happened if they can relate to the characters. Below is an example of one of the cards.  This one provides the ending but on the first one the kids get that last paragraph is missing...sort of a cliff hanger.


No comments:

Post a Comment