Tuesday, April 14, 2015

One of the things I put that I want to work on more still is mentoring.  So, I met with the 7th grade language teacher in an effort to help her with behavior management issues.  At our school, because our students are so low, we have the writing part and reading part of the junior high split into two classes to give them double the dose.  I do the reading and this other young lady does the writing. I'm pretty sure she would prefer the reading part but she's fresh out of college and I'm older than dirt.  I spoke to her about how grammar is a more structured exercise and how starting off the first quarter next year for sure would help with discipline.  But I also said for this quarter while they are a little wilder it wouldn't hurt to throw more in.  They don't know their parts of speech yet so a little extra isn't going to hurt at all.  The problem I think is most colleges don't instruct English majors on how to teach grammar...so she may be at a bit of a loss.  I purchased some stuff a couple years back that I was going to use for bell ringers and I am going to give those to her and see if that helps a little.  We don't have textbooks in the junior high so it might help her out some.  I am going to keep trying to think of ways and for sure will come up with more this summer when time isn't a factor.

On a side note, when I was looking for my graphic up there I have to share that I got lost on Google with all the fun grammar graphics out there.  Heck I might suggest that to her...they had some funny ones she could make and hang on her walls.  I am such an English teacher nerd!

No comments:

Post a Comment